New Jersey hospitals were given top grades by The Leapfrog Group, a national nonprofit organization that assesses quality and safety.
In the Spring 2020 Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grades, 30 Garden State facilities received A grades.
Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grades are assigned to more than 2,600 general acute-care hospitals across the nation twice annually.
The Safety Grade use up to 28 national patient safety measures from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) and the Leapfrog Hospital Survey, and information from other supplemental data sources to produce a single letter grade representing a hospital’s overall performance in keeping patients safe from preventable harm and medical errors.
The Safety Grade methodology has been peer reviewed and published in the Journal of Patient Safety.
The Leapfrog Group calculated a numerical score for all eligible hospitals in the U.S. The numerical score was then converted into one of five letter grades.
“A” represents the best Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade, followed in order by “B,” “C,” “D,” and “F.” The letter grade methodology first established in fall 2018 is being used this spring.
Numerical scores range between approximately 1.7 and 3.8, with an average score of approximately 3.0. The numerical cut- point for D and F grades is adjusted down by three standard errors.
Vice President of Administration Erica Mobley, said Leapfrog recognizes that national attention is focused on COVID-19 at this moment.
“While hospitals’ attention is best focused on providing critical, safe care at this time, patient safety must remain a priority, and we will continue to report on it. The spring 2020 grades reflect the most current information available about hospitals and their safety.”
Mobley said that patient safety can and should never take a back seat and poor performance on safety is not correlated to the pandemic.
The Spring 2020 Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grades are based on data collected prior to the COVID-19 outbreak. The reporting periods vary across the 28 measures, but all range between 2016 to 2019 – well before current circumstances became a factor.
Here’s a list of New Jersey hospitals and how they were graded:
- CarePoint Health-Bayonne Medical Center
- Chilton Medical Center
- Englewood Hospital and Medical Center
- Hackensack Meridian Health Pascack Valley Medical Center
- Hunterdon Medical Center
- Inspira Medical Center Elmer
- Jefferson Cherry Hill Hospital
- Jefferson Stratford Hospital
- Jefferson Washington Township Hospital
- Jersey Shore University Medical Center
- Monmouth Medical Center
- Monmouth Medical Center Southern Campus
- Morristown Medical Center
- Newark Beth Israel Medical Center
- Newton Medical Center
- Ocean Medical Center
- Penn Medicine Princeton Medical Center
- Raritan Bay Medical Center of Perth Amboy
- Riverview Medical Center
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at Hamilton
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital Somerset
- Saint Barnabas Medical Center
- Saint Clare’s Hospital of Denville
- Saint Clare’s Hospital of Dover
- Saint Michael’s Medical Center
- Shore Medical Center
- St. Luke’s Warren Campus
- The Valley Hospital
- Virtua Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital
- Virtua Voorhees Hospital
- Atlanticare Regional Medical Center – City Campus
- Atlanticare Regional Medical Center-Mainland Campus
- CarePoint Health-Christ Hospital
- Carepoint Health-Hoboken University Medical Center
- CentraState Medical Center
- Community Medical Center of Toms River
- Cooper University Hospital
- Hackensack Meridian Health Mountainside Medical Center
- Hackensack Meridian Health Palisades Medical Center
- Hackensack Meridian Health JFK Medical Center
- Holy Name Medical Center
- Inspira Medical Center Vineland
- Jersey City Medical Center
- Overlook Medical Center
- Raritan Bay Medical Center of Old Bridge
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital Rahway
- Saint Peter’s University Hospital
- St. Mary’s General Hospital
- Virtua Marlton Hospital
- Virtua Willingboro
- Bayshore Medical Center
- Cape Regional Medical Center
- Capital Health Medical Center – Hopewell
- Capital Health Regional Medical Center
- Clara Maass Medical Center
- Hackensack University Medical Center
- Hackettstown Regional Medical Center
- Hudson Regional Hospital
- Salem Medical Center
- Southern Ocean Medical Center
- St. Francis Medical Center of Trenton
- St. Joseph’s University Medical Center
- St. Joseph’s Wayne Medical Center
- Trinitas Regional Medical Center
- Virtua Memorial Hospital