Cushman & Wakefield’s New Jersey retail team on Thursday said it signed 13 leases totaling 36,926 square feet in New York and New Jersey in 2019.
The leasing activity was spearheaded by David Townes and Alana Friedman in Cushman’s East Rutherford office, along with Neil Seth in New York.
“The dining sector remains one of the hottest retail categories, both in our region and nationwide,” said Townes, whose team specializes in restaurant leasing. “As local and national brands seek to grow their businesses, the demand for second-generation restaurant space with existing kitchen infrastructure continues to be at its highest.”
Among the highlights is the highly-anticipated opening of Krispy Kreme in East Rutherford, slated for February 2020. Townes and Friedman represented the tenant in a 3,200-square-foot commitment at 91 Route 17 S. for the popular doughnut concept’s first Bergen County location.
Townes, Friedman and Seth also helped to secure the first New Jersey location for &pizza on the Jersey City waterfront. The team represented 30 Montgomery Partners LLC, the owner of 30 Montgomery Street, in leasing a 1,033-square-foot space to the fast-casual pizza chain. Jamie Sackeim and Vicki Ezra of The Shopping Center Group represented the tenant in the transaction.
Other recent New Jersey transactions included:
- Bubbakoo Burritos, which took 1,700 square feet, and Dunkin Donuts, which leased 1,800 square feet, at 110 Market St. in Saddle Brook;
- The relocation and expansion of local favorite Pag’s to 6,300 square feet at 227 Franklin Ave. in Nutley;
- YaYa Tea Café’s 1,953-square-foot lease at 250 Central Ave. in Newark;
- HLS Juice Bar leasing 2,230 square feet at 483 S. Livingston Ave. in Livingston;
- Sterling Spice taking 3,362 square feet at 99 Ridgedale Ave. in Cedar Knolls; and
- Dulce de Leche Bakery’s 5,300-square-foot commitment at 55 W. Palisade Ave. in Englewood.
In New York, Townes and Friedman brokered Shaking Crab’s 2,260-square-foot lease at 100 E. Route 59 in Nanuet; a 1,400-square-foot commitment with Wingstop at 400 Route 211 E. in Middletown; and a 3,300-square-foot lease with Rey de Pollo at 80 E. Route 59 in Spring Valley.
Leasing activity has remained strong through January, with Hidden Grace Foods Corp. taking 11,282 square feet for its Golden Corral national buffet franchise at State Highway 33 and Mercerville Road in Mercerville. Townes represented the tenant in a direct deal with ownership, ParkWinMer SC LLC (Hilton Realty).