On Aug. 16, hospitals from across the state were acknowledged by the Healthcare Equality Index 2019 (HEI), a national benchmarking tool that evaluates health care facilities’ policies and practices related to the equity and inclusion of their LGBTQ patients, visitors and employees.
A record 680 health care facilities actively participated in the HEI 2019 survey.
This year marks the third year HEI participants were given a score based on how many LGBTQ-inclusive policies and practices they have in place in four different criteria: the foundational elements of LGBTQ patient-centered care, patient services and support, employee benefits and policies, and patient and community engagement.
In addition, this year participants had to demonstrate that they offered transgender-inclusive health care benefits to their employees to receive a score of 100 points and earn HRC’s coveted “Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality” designation. This year, 406 (60 percent) participants met this higher standard and earned the Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality designation.
The HEI 2019 evaluates more than 1,600 health care facilities nationwide. In addition to being a valuable tool and resource for health care facilities, the HEI is used by LGBTQ patients and their loved ones to find facilities that provide equitable and inclusive care.
New Jersey’s Leaders in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality 2019:
- AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center, Atlantic City
- Clara Maass Medical Center, Belleville
- Ocean Medical Center, Brick
- VA New Jersey Health Care System, East Orange
- Hackensack University Medical Center, Hackensack
- Hackettstown Medical Center, Hackettstown
- Bayshore Medical Center, Holmdel
- Jersey City Medical Center, Jersey City
- Saint Barnabas Medical Center, Livingston
- Monmouth Medical Center, Long Branch Campus, Long Branch
- Southern Ocean Medical Center, Manahawkin
- Goryeb Children’s Hospital, Morristown
- Morristown Medical Center, Morristown
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, New Brunswick
- Newark Beth Israel Medical Center, Newark
- Newton Medical Center, Newton
- Bergen New Bridge Medical Center, Paramus
- Raritan Bay Medical Center, Perth Amboy
- University Medical Center of Princeton at Plainsboro, Plainsboro
- Chilton Medical Center, Pompton Plains
- Riverview Medical Center, Red Bank
- Valley Hospital, Ridgewood
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital – Somerset, Somerville
- Overlook Medical Center, Summit
- Community Medical Center, Toms River