Upon hearing about Stockton University President Herman J. Saatkamp Jr.’s abrupt departure Tuesday morning, state Sen. Paul Sarlo (D-Wood-Ridge) said he will still seek to have a Stockton official appear before the Senate Budget and Appropriations Committee to explain the Galloway-based school’s plans to establish a satellite campus at Atlantic…”We still need answers,” Sarlo said.
RELATED: Stockton President Saatkamp taking leave starting today
Last week, Sarlo sent a letter to Saatkamp requesting that he appear before the budget committee, which Sarlo chairs, on Thursday to discuss the Stockton deal. At the time, Saatkamp had already notified Stockton’s board of trustees that he planned on stepping down from his position sometime after Aug. 31.
But on Tuesday morning, Stockton announced that Saatkamp will immediately be placed on medical leave and Harvey Kesselman, executive vice president and provost, will assume the role of acting president until July 1, when he is set to depart for the University of Southern Maine, where he had previously accepted a position as president.
Sarlo said Tuesday that he had yet to hear from Saatkamp about his request and added that, given the news of Saatkamp’s immediate leave, he doubts the president will attend Thursday’s committee hearing.
ALSO ON NJBIZ:
Capital’s Center for Women’s Health achieves ‘patient-centered medical home’ status
Orr to step down from advisory post on Atlantic City emergency management team
Bridgewater IT solutions firm sold for $4B