Black Friday, Small Business Saturday and Cyber Monday are the best days to catch retail sales, but did you know the cannabis industry has its own day of deals on Thanksgiving eve called “Green Wednesday”?
Created in 2016 by a California cannabis delivery platform after it noticed a large increase in sales the day before Thanksgiving, Green Wednesday has since expanded to other states with legalized cannabis marketplaces and become one of the highest-grossing days for the industry.
“Cannabis is increasingly becoming an integral part of Americans’ holiday celebrations, with the average consumer anticipating they’ll spend $100 or more on products to enjoy, gift or share with others,” said Jonathan Sandelman, founder and chief executive officer of Ayr Wellness, a multistate operator that runs three Garden State Dispensary stores in New Jersey.
“As stigmas continue to break down, we look forward to the day when cannabis will be as synonymous as pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving,” he said.
This year marks the first Green Wednesday since New Jersey launched adult-use cannabis sales, and dispensaries across the state have a range of special offers for recreational consumers and medical patients:
- At Garden State Dispensary’s retail locations in Woodbridge, Union and Eatontown, select vape cartridges will be marked down 20%. There will also be discounts on buds and flavored pre-rolled cannabis products.
- Rise Dispensary is offering 20% off select brands, as well as 20% off accessories and 10% off everything else at its stores in Bloomfield, Paterson and Paramus.
- TerrAscend is letting customers at its Lodi, Maplewood and Phillisburg shops build their own bundle for $99, which includes a product of their choice, swag item and a stash bag.
- Curaleaf, which has dispensaries in Bellmawr, Edgewater Park and Bordentown, is giving a 25% discount on select vape brands, as well as 25% off all 3.5g Curaleaf brand flower.
- Green Wednesday sales are also planned by other multistate operators, including Verano, which operates Zen Leaf in Elizabeth, Neptune and Lawrence; Acreage, which runs The Botanist in Williamstown; and Columbia Care, which manages The Cannabist in Deptford and Vineland.
The popularity of Green Wednesday shows how consumption patterns around celebrations are starting to change in the U.S. and that cannabis is becoming a consumer staple that Americans are willing to regularly spend money on, according to a recently released report.
Conducted by Ayr Wellness and global market research platform Suzy, an October 2022 survey of 1,600 cannabis consumers found that 24% will spend $100 or more on cannabis this Thanksgiving and 34% are likely to serve THC-infused food.
- 55% of consumers plan to purchase or consume cannabis on Green Wednesday;
- 40% of those buying on Green Wednesday are purchasing for themselves and gifting;
- 55% of those purchasing on Green Wednesday are buying flower.
Recent cannabis news
- Ascend to begin recreational cannabis sales in Fort Lee
- Study: NJ’s glacial pace on legal cannabis licenses may allow illicit sales to flourish
- Why do local cannabis entrepreneurs find state processes difficult?