Matthew Fazelpoor//April 20, 2023//
New Jersey Attorney General Matthew Platkin, keynote speaker of the 26th Annual East Coast Gaming Congress at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Atlantic City. - MATTHEW FAZELPOOR
New Jersey Attorney General Matthew Platkin, keynote speaker of the 26th Annual East Coast Gaming Congress at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Atlantic City. - MATTHEW FAZELPOOR
Matthew Fazelpoor//April 20, 2023//
Delivering his keynote speech at the 26th Annual East Coast Gaming Congress April 20 in Atlantic City, New Jersey Attorney General Matthew Platkin revealed several new initiatives to expand the state’s responsible gaming efforts.
Coordinated and overseen by the Office of the Attorney General and New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement (DGE), Thursday’s announcement at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Atlantic City builds on previous developments through a series of steps, including:
“I’m proud today to announce the next phase of our focus on responsible gaming,” said Platkin during his address. “Specifically, I’m announcing today that the Division of Gaming Enforcement is creating a new and dedicated position to serve as its Coordinator of Responsible Gaming. This position will be filled by an experienced attorney within DGE who will serve in this new role and report directly to the director, and ultimately, me, on all issues impacting responsible gaming, including the progress on the initiative I just discussed.”
NJBIZ has previously reported on the state’s work in this space. In February, Platkin and the DGE announced the rollout of that new Responsible Gaming Initiative, referenced in the attorney general’s remarks, which aims to identify and help gamblers at risk of addiction by using data collected by gaming operators about players’ online betting behavior. As part of that program – the first-of-its-kind implemented in the country – the DGE is working with online wagering companies, using technology to identify and work to address at-risk patrons.
A group of sports leagues and media entities announced the formation of the Coalition for Responsible Sports Betting Advertising, a voluntary association aimed at doing its part to help ensure a responsible approach to sports betting advertising. Click here to see who joined.
Operators will now be required to analyze data to determine whether a player is showing signs of problem gambling behavior.
New online and sports gambling advertising standards, which officials say make it clear that operators must make responsible gaming a priority, include:
Another initiative announced Thursday will make it easier for players with problem gaming behaviors to remove themselves from the industry via the state’s self-exclusion program, which currently allows players to voluntarily prohibit themselves from accessing casinos’ floors through in-person appointments with specifically trained DGE staff, or from online gaming through an application. Now, the DGE is taking that a step further by creating a video-conference option to allow players to escape from problem gambling without having to leave their homes.
DGE is also establishing a 24/7 hotline dedicated to assisting people with questions about the self-exclusion program and the process for signing up.
“We have seen tremendous growth in sports wagering and online gaming in New Jersey,” said DGE Director David Rebuck. “In the face of that boom, we have a duty to protect the public from advertising that could be misleading or harmful. And for those in the grip of gambling addiction, we need to offer as many exit ramps from their condition as possible.”
“As New Jersey’s gaming and sports wagering industries continue to grow and mature, so do our obligations to assist patrons who are at risk for problem gambling,” said Platkin. “By establishing a dedicated, senior level position within the Division of Gaming Enforcement to focus on responsible gaming, we are sending a clear message that we take this work seriously – and so should the industry. Our other initiatives announced today will help protect consumers and make it easier for individuals to access the help they need when their gaming behavior becomes problematic.”
“We congratulate Attorney General Platkin and DGE Director David Rebuck for their continued leadership in responsible gambling. The initiatives announced today further bolster responsible gambling protections and reduce barriers for people seeking help,” said Keith Whyte, executive director of the National Council on Problem Gambling. “We hope regulators across the country will emulate New Jersey, including by working with the National Council on Problem Gambling and our state affiliate chapters, such as the Council on Compulsive Gambling of New Jersey.”
The annual conference where the announcements were made brings together leaders and stakeholders from throughout the gaming industry, featuring an impressive array of speakers and panels, as well as an exhibit hall, receptions, networking opportunities and more.
NJBIZ will have a further recap of the conference an upcoming issue.