Healthgrades’ 2022 Leaders in Obstetrics & Gynecology Awards recognize the top hospitals nationwide when it comes to labor and delivery and gynecologic procedures.
In the Garden State – where First Lady Tammy Murphy has made maternal health outcomes a priority through her Nurture NJ initiative – 19 health care centers were named to the list of 145, which doles out honors across three categories: the Labor and Delivery Excellence Award, the Gynecologic Surgery Excellence Award and the Overall Obstetrics and Gynecology Award.
Just 17 facilities nationwide received all three awards, among them RWJBarnabas Health‘s Community Medical Center in Toms River.
“The recognitions from Healthgrades are representative of our deep commitment to providing superior care to women of all ages through a comprehensive range of women’s health services,” said Suzanne Spernal, vice president of women’s services, RWJBarnabas Health. “These distinctions would not be possible without the clinical excellence and compassion of our dedicated staff and clinicians that continually prioritize patient outcomes, safety and care for every patient we serve.”
RWJBarnabas said Community Medical Center placed among the top 5% of hospitals evaluated for labor and delivery and gynecologic surgery, and among the top 10% evaluated for obstetrics and gynecology.
According to Healthgrades, from 2018 -2020, if all hospitals in the 16 states included in the group’s 2022 analysis, as a group, performed similarly to:
- hospitals receiving the Obstetrics and Gynecology Excellence Awards, on average 153,369 patients could have avoided complications;
- hospitals receiving the Labor and Delivery Excellence Award, on average 135,637 patients could have avoided complications.
In that same time period:
- patients treated in hospitals receiving the Gynecologic Surgery Excellence award have, on average, a 46.8% lower risk of experiencing a complication while in the hospital than if they were treated in hospitals that did not receive the Gynecologic Surgery Excellence Award.
To conduct the annual analysis, Healthgrades said it evaluates hospital performance across four Ob-Gyn services from 16 states that make the data available: Vaginal Delivery, C-Section Delivery, Hysterectomy and Gynecological Procedures. The 2022 awards recognize the top 10% of hospitals in each area.
Listed alphabetically, the New Jersey Ob-Gyn Care Awards winners include:
- Cape Regional Medical Center
- Clara Maass Medical Center
- Community Medical Center
- Englewood Hospital and Medical Center
- Hoboken University Medical Center
- Monmouth Medical Center
- Morristown Medical Center
- Newark Beth Israel Medical Center
- Overlook Medical Center
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital
- St. Joseph’s Children’s Hospital
- St. Joseph’s University Medical Center
- St. Joseph’s Wayne Hospital
- St. Mary’s General Hospital
- Trinitas Regional Medical Center
- Valley Hospital
- Virtua Camden
- Virtua Marlton Hospital
- Virtua Voorhees Hospital
You can view more information about the New Jersey recipients and their awards here.
Healthgrades released its 2022 America’s Best 50 Hospitals in February. Click through to see which Garden State facilities ranked, and where.